A car accident can cause severe physical problems, including broken bones, lacerations, head and neck injuries, back injuries, and traumatic brain injuries. However, it is also important to consider the financial impact for car accident victims which can be just as devastating. There are the costly bills for medical treatments and repairs for damaged vehicles. Those expenses are even more overwhelming if you are unable to work and earn an income because of your injuries.
Fortunately, there are options available to recover compensation for your financial losses and injuries.
Often unexpected are the expenses that may follow a car accident, including:
- Higher insurance rates: Regardless of who is at-fault, most insurance companies will raise a driver’s rates after a car accident.
- Lost income: Lost income occurs when you become temporarily or permanently disabled and are unable to work.
- Medical bills: Costly bills can include emergency room visits, surgeries, hospitalizations, physical therapy, and medications.
- Property damage: Repairs for parts, labor, and other vehicular expenses related to the accident.
- Funeral costs: Costs would cover funeral expenses if a loved one passes away in a car accident.
Legal Options to Ease the Financial Burden After an Accident
If the car accident was not your fault, you may have cause to bring a claim against the reckless driver or negligent party whose actions caused your crash. To improve your changes of financial recovery with a personal injury claim, it is important to take these steps after an accident:
- Seek medical attention: Even if you do not feel any pain, some internal injuries are not immediately apparent but can be quite serious and lifelong. It is always a good idea to get checked out after any car accident.
- File a police report: Having a police report on record can substantiate important details about the accident to prove your claim. Make sure to get names, phone numbers, and insurance information from all drivers involved in the crash. It is also crucial to get information from witnesses.
- Document the scene: Photos, video, and witness accounts are valuable, it will help you determine how and why the accident occurred.
- Contact a car crash lawyer: Your attorney reviews the details of your case and explains all your options to help you pursue justice. Legal guidance and a methodical approach will strengthen your personal injury claim.
Virginia Beach Car Crash Lawyers Help Clients Recover Financially After a Serious Accident
If you were injured in an accident, you may be eligible for compensation. Our dedicated Virginia Beach car crash lawyers will advocate on your behalf after a serious car accident. At East Coast Trial Lawyers, we are committed to helping you obtain compensation for your injuries, lost wages, and for your pain and suffering. Contact us online or call us at 757-352-2237 for a free consultation about your case. Located in Virginia Beach, Virginia, we serve clients from the surrounding areas, including Chesapeake, Eastern Shores, Hampton, Newport News, Norfolk, Portsmouth, and Suffolk.