A sideswipe accident typically happens when one car leaves its lane and collides with the side of the vehicle in the adjacent lane. This can cause major damage to the vehicle and its occupants and set off a chain reaction that involves more people and objects than the first vehicle to be hit, especially if the sideswipe occurs on a highway. If a truck sideswipes a smaller vehicle or motorcycle, the results can be fatal.
The most common cause of a sideswipe accident is failure to check or see a vehicle in a blind spot. The following are other causes of sideswipe collisions:
- Failure to yield the right of way: This commonly occurs when making a turn and merging onto a highway.
- Aggressive driving: Often caused by aggressive drivers weaving in and out of traffic, which can lead to a sideswipe collision.
- Drunk driving: Alcohol impairs reaction time and judgement, leading to catastrophic injuries when involved in an accident.
- Drugged driving: Certain drugs can impair the ability to operate heavy machinery.
- Drowsy driving: This causes many errors, including drifting into another lane and sideswiping other cars.
- Distracted driving: Looking away from the road for any reason can cause the vehicle to veer into another lane. Common sources of distracted driving include texting, calling, using the radio or entertainment system, or talking to passengers in the backseat.
- Speeding: This leads to less reaction time to avoid obstacles and a need for greater stopping distances, heightening the risk for sideswipes.
Common Injuries in Sideswipe Accidents
Injuries in sideswipe accidents can vary widely and some injuries may not be readily apparent. That is why it is wise to see a medical professional after an accident, even if you think your injuries are minor. Drivers and passengers involved in a sideswipe collision could experience the following injuries:
- Broken bones
- Cuts and lacerations
- Traumatic brain injury (TBI)
- Head and neck injuries
- Back injuries
- Internal bleeding and organ damage
Injuries from a sideswipe accident can result in long hospital stays and rehabilitation periods during which you may be unable to work. Some injuries can be permanent, affecting quality of life and the ability to earn a living.
Compensation for Sideswipe Accidents
If you or someone you love suffered injuries in a sideswipe accident caused by a negligent driver, contact an experienced car accident lawyer who can investigate the circumstances and determine liability and compensation for your case. Surviving family members of someone who was fatally injured can build a case for wrongful death.
Remember to never to sign anything from an insurance company without first obtaining legal counsel as you could be signing away your rights to full compensation. You could be entitled to damages to cover present and future medical costs, lost wages, and property damages for your vehicle, as well as pain and suffering. If the vehicle that hit yours was defective or had defective parts, the manufacturer can also be held accountable for its role in the accident.
Our Virginia Beach Car Crash Lawyers Advocate for Victims of Sideswipe Collisions
At East Coast Trial Lawyers, our dedicated Virginia Beach car crash lawyers are ready to help if you were injured in a sideswipe car accident caused by the negligence of another person. We will fight to ensure you receive the compensation you need to make a full recovery. Call us at 757-352-2237 today to schedule a free consultation about your case or contact us online. Located in Virginia Beach, Virginia, we represent clients throughout Chesapeake, Eastern Shores, Hampton, Newport News, Norfolk, Portsmouth, and Suffolk, as well as North Carolina and nationwide.