The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) reports that more than 400,000 police-reported truck accidents occur each year in the U.S. In 2017, there were 2,306 large truck crashes in Virginia alone, according to that year’s state Highway Safety Office Traffic Crash Facts report.
If you are injured in a truck accident, there are certain steps you should take to protect your interests. The Virginia Beach truck accident attorneys at East Coast Trial Lawyers can help ensure that your rights are protected and that you receive the maximum amount of compensation to which you are entitled for your injuries.
Steps to Take If You Are in a Truck Accident
If you are involved in a truck accident, it is important to take certain steps immediately to protect the viability of your personal injury claim or potential claim. Some of these crucial steps include:
- Stop and report – Anyone who is involved in a crash must stay at the scene until authorities arrive to assess the scene. If you are involved in a truck accident, pull over to the side of the road, contact 911, and wait for the police or state highway patrol to arrive.
- Get medical treatment – With adrenaline running high, victims may not notice injuries immediately following a wreck. Therefore, seek the advice of a medical professional whether injuries are apparent or not.
- Make a police report – When the police arrive, tell the officer what happened without speculating about fault or facts. Additionally, do not give a recorded statement to the trucking company or its insurance adjusters without first seeking legal advice.
- Exchange information with other parties – Be sure to exchange names, contact information, and insurance details with other parties involved in the crash. Also, collect contact information from any witnesses.
- Collect evidence – If possible, take pictures of the accident scene, as this may help you later in proving your claim. If you have any visible injuries, take pictures of those as well.
- Notify your insurance company – Report the accident to your insurance company as soon as possible. They may send an insurance adjuster to evaluate the scene.
- Be careful what you say – Do not admit blame as this may compromise your ability to collect compensation. Additionally, it is best to neither downplay nor exaggerate the severity of your injuries.
- Keep records – It is important to keep record of all things related to the accident. Information such as parties’ contact information, out of pocket expenses incurred, and medical treatment received may prove vital to your claim.
- Contact an attorney – Truck accident cases can be complex and it pays to have a competent attorney on your side. Contact a knowledgeable attorney in your area as soon as possible following an accident.
Our Virginia Beach Truck Accident Lawyers Help Accident Victims Obtain Maximum Compensation for Their Injuries
If you were injured in a truck accident, contact a Virginia Beach truck accident lawyer to discuss your case. You may be entitled to compensation for your injuries as well as any property damage, income loss, and pain and suffering. From our office conveniently located in Virginia Beach, East Coast Trial Lawyers represents clients in Chesapeake, Eastern Shores, Hampton, Newport News, Norfolk, Portsmouth, Suffolk, and throughout the state. For a free consultation, please complete our online contact form or call us at 757-352-2237.